General FAQs

Who or what is MPA?

The Monash Postgraduate Association Inc. (MPA) is the representative body for all research and coursework postgraduate students enrolled through Monash University's Victorian campuses.

MPA is an incorporated association pursuant to the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (Vic) The MPA is a recognised association under Monash University Statutes and receives a very small portion of the funding collected by Monash University called the ‘student services and amenities fee’ (SSAF).MPA enters into a funding agreement with Monash University, whose responsibility it is to ensure associations meet the legislative requirements under the Higher Education Legislation Amendment (Student Services and Amenities) Act 2011.

MPA is able to provide independent, free and confidential advice to postgraduate students.

Back to top

Is there any charge for the advocacy service?

The service is provided at no charge to the student.

Back to top

Who is eligible to access MPA services?

Any Monash postgraduate student can access MPA services. A postgraduate is a student enrolled in a course of study leading to an award of graduate certificate, graduate diploma, postgraduate diploma, masters degree, professional doctorate or doctor of philosophy. Former students may also access MPA services for a period of six months post enrolment.

Back to top

What is advocacy?

All postgraduates at Monash University have rights in regard to the quality of their education and the way that they are treated by their faculty, the University and other students. The role of the MPA Advocate is to help postgraduates navigate their way through the policies and procedures of the University and provide information and/or advice on any study related matter, whether academic or administrative. It is entirely up to each individual student to decide whether to act on advice provided. MPA does not have any coercive powers and as such cannot compel the University to act in a particular way. The MPA does not provide advice or advocacy in cases involving equity issues or harassment or bullying.  In these cases MPA will refer the students to the appropriate body.

Back to top

What advice and information can MPA provide?

The Advocate deals with most cases, however during peak times may be assisted by case workers. Consultations can take place face-to-face at either the MPA Clayton or Caulfield office or by telephone or email. In complex cases, the Advocate will usually prepare a detailed letter(s) of advice to each student outlining their options.

A grievance by or against a student can be a daunting prospect. Students are encouraged to access the assistance of MPA at any stage. The sooner advice is sought, the better.

Examples of areas where students may encounter problems include:

  • supervision;
  • assessment;
  • intellectual property;
  • authorship;
  • formal grievances;
  • course quality;
  • fee disputes;
  • academic progress proceedings;
  • discipline proceedings.

Back to top

What advice can’t MPA provide?

MPA cannot assist in the following circumstances:

  • in matters unrelated to your postgraduate study;
  • where the internal decision making process of the University has been exhausted;
  • where students contact the Victorian Ombudsman after internal University proceedings have concluded;
  • while the matter is still in the negotiation or informal stage the Advocate does not usually attend meetings with lecturers or supervisors although suggestions may be made to the student about how to approach the matter;
  • in the event that a relationship of trust cannot be achieved between the Advocate and student, the Advocate has the discretion to cease to act for that student;
  • MPA resources are limited and if the Advocate cannot meet a level of service expected by a student then the Advocate may refer the student elsewhere and/or cease to act;
  • in matters involving conflict of interest.

Complaints about the handling of a case should be addressed to the MPA Executive Officer: Jennifer Reeder.

Back to top

Is my case information confidential?

Yes. MPA adheres to Victorian privacy principles which are embodied in the Monash University Policies and privacy laws.

Student case information is treated as confidential and will only be disclosed to third parties at the student’s request or with the student’s consent. In the event that the Advocate or case worker hold a reasonable apprehension that the student is at serious risk of harming him/herself or a danger to others then the matter will be disclosed to the relevant authority without any prior warning to the student.

Anonymous examples of student issues may be used by MPA for training or lobbying purposes. If the Advocate is unavailable and a student needs to see another caseworker, then this caseworker will have access to the Advocate’s file. The file will include a brief summary of the student's matter and any advice given. The file may also include medical reports.

Files will be kept in the office of the Advocate or case worker concerned. Email communications are accessed by password. An individual student may request to see the notes on their case or obtain a copy of their file.

Exclusion FAQs

What does it mean to be ‘excluded’?

This means that you will be, or have been, discontinued from your current course by your faculty, and you will cease to be a student at Monash.

How long will I be excluded for?

This can vary. Exclusion is often for 1 year, but it can be longer, even permanent. This will be specifically stated on your Notice of Decision letter.

When will the exclusion go into effect?

Generally, once the time allowed for making an appeal expires or, if an appeal is made and the decision to exclude is upheld, from the time the decision is made. Under exceptional circumstances, if a discipline panel judges that it is necessary to do so, an exclusion can take effect immediately from when the decision is made.

Can I appeal an exclusion?

Yes, this is possible. The process is different depending on whether you have been excluded due to unsatisfactory academic progress or due to a discipline matter. Speak to a MPA Advocate for assistance with this.

For unsatisfactory academic progress, please click here

For discipline matters, please click here

How long do I have to make an appeal?

You have 20 working days from the Notice of Decision to lodge an appeal.

Do I keep going to class during the 20 working day appeal period?

Yes, you can. In fact, if you intend to appeal, you should. If your appeal is successful, you will not have missed any class time.

Can I get an alternative exit before the exclusion goes into effect?

This may be possible. Contact your faculty for advice. An alternative exit is an official exit point from an award course. This is often in the form of a lower award e.g. graduate diploma or graduate certificate.

Will it show on my official academic transcript that I have been excluded?

No, this does not appear on your official academic transcript.

I have been excluded. What do I do now?

1. You can appeal the exclusion, but you must be aware that this may not succeed.

2. Consider that exclusion is not the end of the road, but rather a break from Monash and an opportunity to reflect and assess various options moving forward. You could potentially:

• Apply to study a different course (with a different faculty) at Monash.

• Apply to study at a different university, or TAFE.

• Take some time off from studying and focus on yourself. You could find work, travel, or take care of personal issues that may have affected your ability to study.

Can I get my fees back if I have been excluded?

If you are excluded due to unsatisfactory academic progress and you have already paid the fees for the coming year, then you will be eligible to obtain a refund for those fees. This is because hearings for unsatisfactory academic progress are usually held at the start of the academic year, and they are based on your previous year’s results. However, you will not be able to receive a refund for units that you have already completed.

If you have been excluded due to a disciplinary matter and the census date has passed, you will not be eligible for a refund of your fees.

Refund applications at Monash are made online, click here to read more.

I am an international student on a student visa. Will exclusion affect my visa?

It may. To hold a valid student visa, you must be enrolled as a student with an accredited education provider. You should speak to Monash Connect for advice on this first. You should also contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). Monash Connect Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)

Can I study elsewhere after being excluded from Monash?

Yes, you can. An exclusion from Monash does not prevent you from applying to any other educational institution. The record of your exclusion stays with Monash and is not communicated to other education providers.

If I choose a different course, can I still study at Monash?

It is often (but not always) the case that students are excluded for a period of 12 months from the faculty with which they were studying. If this is the case for you, then you can apply to study a course with a different faculty and, if you are accepted, you could continue studying at Monash. You must still meet the eligibility criteria for this course, and your entire academic history (your grades, GPA, WAM, etc.) will be considered for your application. Contact Monash Connect for information on how to apply.

Can I return to study the same course at Monash after my exclusion has expired?

This can vary depending on the faculty, as they each have their own rules regarding re-admission. Generally, if you can show academic rehabilitation (for example, by studying a number of units in a similar course at another university), you may be able to return to your course at Monash. Before taking any such steps, you should contact your faculty to see if it is possible and, if so, what you should do to improve your chances.

Exclusions Appeal FAQs

What does it mean to “appeal”?

This is a process whereby the University relooks at your case after you have been excluded from your Course and/or the University (with a potential to get a different outcome).

Can anybody appeal?

Students who have been excluded after an APC hearing which they attended are entitled to appeal. If you did not provide evidence to the hearing or did not attend the hearing in person you are not entitled to appeal the decision of the panel.

However, if you did not respond to your faculty’s Notice of Referral and Hearing, and you were excluded, you can appeal to the faculty dean. If the dean determines that your circumstances for not attending the hearing or providing evidence are exceptional, you may be granted a re-hearing.

Who looks at my appeal?

The appeal goes to the University Exclusion Appeals Panel (EAP).

What are the grounds for an appeal?

Your right to appeal is limited to one or all of the following grounds:
a) New evidence – this has to be information that was not reasonably available to you at the time of the hearing and must be such that it had the potential to change the outcome of the hearing. It has to be in the form of documentation such as medical certificate, police report or statutory declarations.
b) Procedural irregularity – this means a failure on the part of the University/faculty to comply with the academic progress procedures or the Monash University Academic Board Regulations. For example, if the committee was inquorate or you were not permitted to be accompanied or assisted by a support person at the hearing.

When do I need to lodge my appeal?

You have 20 working days from the time the decision to exclude you is made in which you can lodge your appeal.

Is there a time limit for when I can lodge my appeal?

You have 20 working days to lodge your appeal.

What should I include in my appeal?

i) A completed Notice of Appeal Form

For the form, please: click here

ii) An appeal letter that explains your appeal in much detail. Speak to one of the MPA Advocates for assistance with this.

iii) Supporting documentation to substantiate your claims.

Where do I submit my appeal?

Email your appeal to the Secretary of the EAP. You will find the email address on the Notice of Decision your faculty sent to you.

What does the appeal process involve?

It is not automatic that you will be granted an appeal. Once your appeal is received, it will be referred to an EAP member who will review it and decide whether to uphold the appeal or to dismiss it.

Should I appeal?

It is your right to appeal. However, consider that if you don’t meet the criteria for the grounds listed above, the likelihood of your appeal being dismissed is very high.

What are the chances that my appeal will be successful?

We can’t really answer that question. Every case is different.

Should I still study and attend class while my appeal is being reviewed?

Yes. Until the appeal process is complete you remain a student at Monash University.

What happens if my appeal is dismissed?

If the EAP member determines that is there is NO sufficient evidence to establish your appeal, the appeal is dismissed. This decision is final. If your appeal is dismissed, the faculty’s decision to exclude you from your course and the University will stand starting from the date of the original APC Notice of Decision.

Can I appeal the outcome of the appeal?

No. The decision to dismiss an appeal is final.

What happens if my appeal is upheld?

If the EAP member upholds your appeal, the matter will be referred back to your faculty to be heard by a new APC panel. Your faculty will communicate with you.

Back to top

Some of our frequently asked questions

MPA Advocate Contact Details

The best way to contact one of our Advocates is by via email. For those postgraduates located off-campus or studying via distance education, advice can be provided by email, and supported by phone calls (funded by the MPA).


Sunshine Kamaloni

Benoit Tasse


Sarah Murphy

Advocacy service at Peninsula, Parkville & the MMC

To support the needs of postgraduate students based at Peninsula, Parkville and MMC, an MPA advocate is scheduled to be on site to provide confidential, one-on-one support to postgrads.

Peninsula Campus
Ben Tasse will be at Peninsula on the following dates:

16 November 2017
23 November 2017
30 November 2017
7 December 2017
14 December 2017

Time: 2:00pm to 5:00pm
Venue: Postgraduate Lounge, Struan House

Parkville Campus
Sunshine Kamaloni will be at Parkville on the following dates:

28 November 2017
12 December 2017

Time: 10:00am to 1:00pm
Venue: Pharm-Consultation Room 401.G.54

An advocate will be at the MMC on the following dates:

21 November 2017
12 December 2017

Time: 10:00am to 1:00pm
Venue: Level 2 Meeting Room MHRP Building

Revised assessment and coursework unit procedures from Semester 2, 2017

Monash University recently revised its approach to assessment. There is a new Assessment in Coursework Units Policy which integrates the ‘Monash Assessment Vision’. There are also procedures which accompany the policy. The MPA urges postgrads to take note of these new procedures that come into effect from Semester 2, 2017. More details are available here

Making Good Decisions Advocacy Forum

Click here to view slides from the 2017 MPA advocacy forum