Grievance Process

A grievance can be anything from a query which has not been dealt with properly to a serious complaint about any matter concerning a student’s coursework or research candidature at Monash University.

A grievance can be administrative or academic, one held by a graduate student against another student, a supervisor, a department, a faculty or the University. A grievance may also be initiated by the University against a student.

Examples of complaints by graduate students include:

  • Intellectual property
  • Supervision
  • Assessment
  • Authorship
  • Lack of resources
  • Poor delivery of teaching/courses
  • Scholarships
  • Fees
  • Harassment
  • Discrimination

Examples of complaints against graduate students include:

  • Lack of academic progress leading to non-confirmation or termination of candidature
  • Plagiarism
  • Cheating
  • Misconduct
  • Harassment
  • Non payment of fees

How can the MGA help?

The MGA supports an informal approach to resolving difficult situations. The MGA advocates act as advisors and provide support and assistance for graduate students. The great majority of complaints that come to the MGA are settled through an informal process. This may mean contacting all parties concerned and talking about the matter with a view to resolution, or providing ‘behind the scenes’ advice to graduate students to enable them to resolve the situation independently.

Generally speaking most graduate students are willing to reach a compromise. However, if an issue cannot be resolved informally then formal processes may be invoked. The level of MGA’s involvement will depend on the circumstances of each case. MGA has limited resources and our advocates will advise students about what MGA can do for them depending on the circumstances of each case.

Formal grievance procedures

The process to be followed depends on the type of candidature and complaint. A student complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction with a process, decision or service offered or provided by the University.

Students must follow the Student Complaints and Grievances Procedures.

More information on the process is available on the University Ombudsman website.

The formal grievance process is conducted by email. Each faculty has a grievance officer, as does MGRO and other University departments.

Book an appointment with an MGA advocate

To get in contact with one of our advocates, please book an appointment via email. Alternatively, you can call the Clayton (9905 3197) or Caulfield (9903 1880) office to speak to one of our advocates.

Advocate for Clayton, AMREP, MMC and Gippsland:

Sunshine Kamaloni

James Breheny

Advocate for Caulfield, Peninsula, Parkville and Law Chambers:

Sarah Murphy

Ying Xu