International postgraduates

Find out about information and support services provided by the university to all international students. Postgraduates are welcome to access these services.

University services

The University understands that International students may face some challenges when arriving in a new ciountry for study and runs a webpage with useful links to help students adjust.

Research student orientation

Student advisers run regular compulsory International Student Essential information sessions for international research students covering such topics as overseas health cover; regulations and visas; work rights; money matters and tax file numbers

Support programs

Family support

Monash has Family and Child Care services which support international families with children studying at Monash University. Advice is available regarding childcare, primary school, playgroups, school holiday care and other child and family support issues. Social events for international students with families are held throughout the year.

International students' emergency fund

The Sir Edward Dunlop International Students Emergency Fund is a community-based fund that provides short-term loans to International Students in universities, TAFE institutes and secondary schools in Victoria, Australia.

Applications for loans will be considered to overcome a short-term financial crisis or cover unexpected expenses which threaten a student’s ability to continue their studies.

Back to top

Government information

Study Melbourne Student Centre (SMSC)

International students can now get help with health, legal, housing and safety issues at what's being billed as a "one-stop shop" in the CBD. Staff at Study Melbourne Student Centre, at 599 Little Bourke Street, near Southern Cross Station, will help with personal crises as well as information and support. Interpreters are also available. Assistance is FREE at the centre, open 9-5pm Monday to Friday, or 24 hours a day on 1800 056 449

Working in Australia

Information from the FairWork Ombudsman about your workplace rights and obligations.

Education services for overseas students (ESOS)

The Australian government regulates the education and training sector’s involvement with overseas students studying in Australia on student visas.

Visit Monash's ESOS information page for further information.

Department of Immigration

Information about student visas can be found at the Department of Immigration website.

Study in Australia

This Australian government website provides information on living and studying in Australia. It includes tips on safety, how to get involved in the community and information on Australia.

Back to top

Monash welcomes postgrads from all over the world

Australian accented English

Some international students find the way English is spoken in Australia can be quite different to how they have been taught.

Instead of asking you how you are, we ask 'how are you going?" We arrange to meet you in the 'arvo' or will invite you to a 'barbie'.

You can search the meaning of Aussie words and phrases on the Australian Word Map website - a co-production of the Macquarie Library Pty Ltd and ABC Online.

To help tune your ear to to Aussie English try:

  • watching some Australian-made TV programs and films
  • listening to AM talkback radio (ABC 774)
  • chatting with the check-out operator at the supermarket